VEX Design Challenge

Entry: Bear Bot

Challenge Summary

VRDCThe FUTURE Foundation exists to advance robotics and technology through education. One of the most promising areas in robotics engineering for the next generation will be in using robotics for entertainment and amusement. The FUTURE Challenge for 2011 is to design and build a robot or robotic machine using VEX components that entertains and/or amuses. Your robot may either be an entertaining machine itself or it can be a working scale VEX prototype of a larger machine. An elegant and entertaining engineering solution demonstrated using VEX is the goal of this challenge.

Entry Detail

Team 4542 (Ursa Major)ís robot built for the 2011 Future Foundation Design Challenge is called
Bear_Bot. It entertains and amuses by performing tasks such as dancing and playing
the piano. It can also mimic the arm movements of a user who is holding the VexNet
joystick. BearBot is a humanoid with a holonomic drive base in place of legs. It has full
range of motion in both arms and two planes of motion in its head. It can bend at the
waist, and strafe or turn in any direction. Bear_Bot is powered by 8 servos and 5 motors.
There are 4 servos on each arm and 2 servos on the head. There is one motor on each of
the 4 wheels of the holonomic drive, and there is one high strength motor used to control
the waist. Since this is too many motors for one cortex to handle, a modified a PWM
wire was used to interface two cortexes and make them work together.

Entry Files

• Top view
    Top view
    file type: JPEG Image (image/jpeg)
    file name: P1020374.JPG
    file size: 5.03 MB
    download file
    (right click, save as)
  • Bottom view
    Bottom view
    file name: P1020377.JPG
    file size: 3.86 MB
    download file
    (right click, save as)
  • Side view
    Side view
    file name: P1020378.JPG
    file size: 4.86 MB
    download file
    (right click, save as)
  • front view
    front view
    file name: P1020403.JPG
    file size: 5.02 MB
    download file
    (right click, save as)
  • Front internal view
    Front internal view
    file name: P1020402.JPG
    file size: 4.8 MB
    download file
    (right click, save as)
  • Bear_Bot
    A video with the demonstrations of Bear_Bot dancing, playing the piano, and entertaining older siblings.
    file type: YouTube Video (youtube)
    file URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5tPkMS1_h8

User Details

Sunnyrae
Team Number: 4542
Challenge Entries: 3 entries

Entry Voting

you must login to vote

User Comments (16)

• page:
  • unlinked account
    03-06-2011 10:48 AM
    Although its movements may seem limited, at one point all servos were moving, and if you look at how the elbow and shoulder parts were made it is pretty amazing. The work is very precise to have a shoulder like that. Also with 15 servos/motors, that intense. But the reason that the movement might seem limited is because its vex, straight peaces, and hard metal... But i got to say, during that ballet part in the begging, that movement seemed very smooth.
  • unlinked account
    03-01-2011 10:46 AM
    The contest rules clearly state "Write a document of up to 500 words describing your robot and what it does in either Microsoft Word or PDF." You did not submit a Microsoft Word document or PDF. Other teams put in hard work creating these documents according to the contest rules and could have made robots ten times better if they had not had to take that time, but instead they sat down, put their essays in the proper format, and executed them pretty well. I understand that your solution of writing the text in the text box is probably easier and more effective, but this competition has very clear rules. I guess my main problem with this entry is that it seems like you guys gave up on using the correct software too quickly and said let's just take the easy way out of this and I feel like that defeats the whole purpose of this competition and is a little unfair to the teams that did stay within the competition guidelines. I don't mean to insult you guys or anything, but this is just my point of view. If you guys did write the document in Microsoft Word or PDF format at one point, please post proof of how you did so and why in the end you guys decided to break the contest rules.

Wait...just kidding! It's actually not a big deal, and no one should think less of your robot just because someone could argue on a technicality that your robot should be disqualified.
  • Efthemi Hatzis
    02-28-2011 10:48 PM
    lol that's our team uniform
  • unlinked account
    02-28-2011 10:33 PM
    that tie dye shirt is ballin' yo.
  • unlinked account
    02-28-2011 03:20 PM
    We like the Bear Bot! Good job.
  • login to comment.
    page: